Vision and Mission
HRI envisions “A globally Competitive Horticultural Research Institute”. This vision requires HRI and its stakeholders and partners to stretch their future expectations, aspirations and performance.
“To generate and disseminate horticultural knowledge, innovative technologies and services that respond to clientele demands, for sustainable livelihoods.”
- Identify production, policy, market, processing and utilization constraints in the fields of horticulture and prepare short and long-term research programmes within the framework of the national horticultural research system;
- Advise on and develop appropriate systems to promote balanced, diversified and sustained horticultural development and to optimize horticultural production through investigative and adaptive research;
- Organize, design and carry out on-station and on-farm research in its respective areas of horticultural research in accordance with such policies and in such priorities as may be determined by the Board;
- Identify and disseminate, in collaboration with other relevant agencies, appropriate systems of mechanization and technology, options to improve horticultural production and provide answers to foreseeable problems;
- Facilitate the use of improved production technology and establish adequate feedback systems from horticultural producers in order to achieve and maintain national self-sufficiency and export capacities.
- Collaborate with the extension, education services, other organizations, agencies and institutions including schools, technical institutions and universities, public or private, to disseminate research results and technologies;
- Establish and maintain regular contact with regional and international horticultural research Centres to ensure the rapid introduction, evaluation and use of improved technology of potential benefit to the country;
- Conduct in association with the secretariat annual reviews of research results and modify research programmes as appropriate;
- Promote demand-driven participatory research, planning and priority setting.