Beef Research Institute is a principal institution created under the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Act 2013. The Institute is located at Garissa in County. It was created to provide operational autonomy to support the Beef sector through focused and efficient research.
The location of the Institute at Garissa is informed by several factors. The Institute is located in the heart of rangelands where over 60% Kenya livestock resources are found and over 70% of Country’s beef supply for domestic and export markets are sourced. Garissa is the gateway to the interior of north-eastern region of Kenya. This geographical advantage is strengthened by the Wajir Airport and the trade links for livestock products to Mombasa, Nairobi and lower eastern Kenya. The Garissa livestock market is one of the largest in eastern Africa where up to 10,000 animals are traded per week. A modern abattoir is under construction in Garissa town.
There is great potential of beef export in foreign markets especially in the Middle East countries. However, exports of beef products to international markets have not been effective dues to poor disease control and beef production practices that lead to low quality carcasses.
Garissa Beef Research Institute is located in Garissa County, 4 km from Garissa town on Balambala Road. It lies on latitude 0° 27′ 09′ S and longitude 390 38′ 45′ E at an elevation of 147 m above sea level.
The beef industry is constrained by recurrent droughts especially in ASALS, and diminishing beef animals genetics, among others. The Beef Research Institute focuses on improving productivity of beef cattle hence leading to the growth of the sub sector. Specifically, the Institute’s mandate is to:
- Organize, design and conduct on-station and on-farm beef research in accordance with existing policies and set priorities.
- Identify production, policy, market, processing and utilization constraints in the in the beef sub sector; plan and execute short and long-term research programmes.
- Identify and disseminate, in collaboration with partners and stakeholders options to improve beef production.
- Collaborate with the extension services and partner institutions to disseminate research results and technologies.
- Establish and maintain contact with regional and international agricultural research centres to tap the rapid introduction, evaluation and use of improved beef technology to the country.
- Conduct under the direction of the secretariat, annual reviews of research results obtained and modify planned research programmes accordingly.
- Promote demand-driven participatory beef research, planning and priority setting.
Beef Research Institute
P.O. Box 230-70100, Garissa, Kenya
Tel: + 020 8044936
Garissa, Lanet, Mariakani and Trans Mara