KALRO is looking for a Data Scientist to generate insights from agricultural, market and weather data analysis. The ideal candidate is adept at organizing and analyzing large datasets collected at KALRO and use strong analytical understanding along with the ability to communicate findings. The preferred candidate must have strong experience using various data mining methods, using various data tools, creating and applying models, building algorithms, and running simulations.
The data scientist will be working with a wide variety of functional teams including stakeholders to discover solutions hidden in large datasets and drive results with their data-driven insights.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative field with at least four (4) years’ demonstrable experience in manipulating large institutional data sets and building statistical models.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques and tools not limited to; Tibco Statistica, R, Python, Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Gradient Boosting, and Deep Neural Networks.
- Demonstrable experience with container networking on Docker.
- Demonstrable experience with querying databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
- Demonstrable experience in spatial data analysis using statistical tools such as R, Python, and QGIS and development of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) based applications.
- Demonstrable experience in the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence approaches to efficiently perform satellite remote sensing.
- Demonstrable experience in using High-Performance Computing with distributed data/computing tools such as Hadoop.
- Demonstrable experience in form of URLs from past assignments in data visualization and presentation using tools such as Power BI.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Develop accurate agricultural data models and algorithms for KALRO selector, Suitability, Fertilizer recommender, Yield Forecast, and Agri Coach Product and services.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques. Work with KALRO and AICCRA stakeholders to identify opportunities for leveraging organizational data to drive solutions.
- Mine and analyze data from KALRO and external sources to drive optimization and improvement of Selector, Suitability, Fertilizer recommender, and Yield Forecast models.
- Enhance data collection procedures to include relevant information for building analytic systems for the KALRO selector, Suitability, Fertilizer recommender, and Yield Forecast models.
- Compile, process, analyze and present data in the appropriate format for reporting.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis, automate alerts/advisories, and present results with appropriate visualizations.
- Test and validate the use cases with different subject experts, stakeholders, and targeted beneficiaries.
- Provide technical support to enable the installation of FarmStack software and the initiation of a FarmStack network within Kenya
- Provide guidance, staff support, and technical assistance to develop, implement, evaluate and communicate the results of exemplary data sharing use cases enabled by FarmStack
- Provide feedback, and inputs to FarmStack technical governance working group and participate in key decisions in the release of features and roadmap
- Create visually attractive content for use in specific formats and for custom platforms such as the KALRO website and reporting portals using data visualization techniques for different stakeholders and audiences.
- Coordinate with partners and other different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Undertake any other related duties assigned by the ICT Director.