Vision and Mission
The mandate of KALRO as stated in the Act is to:
a) Promote, streamline, coordinate and regulate in Kenya research in crops, livestock, genetic resources and biotechnology;
b) Promote, streamline, coordinate and regulate research in crops and animal diseases;
c) Expedite equitable access to research information, resources and technology and promote the application of the research findings and technology in the field of agriculture
Excellence in agricultural and livestock research towards transformed livelihoods
To conduct agricultural research through application of science, technology and innovation to catalyse sustainable growth and development in agriculture and livestock Product Value Chains
To contribute to the growth of the agricultural sector through research coordination and regulation; technology and innovation development; and catalyse transfer and utilization of agricultural research outputs.
Guiding Core Values
KALRO will be guided by the following core values in its operations:
1. Customer orientation: the central focus of KALRO is to provide timely and responsive demand-driven research interventions aimed at addressing the needs
of the customers within the agricultural sector. KALRO will achieve this by maintaining a culture that promotes responsiveness to customer needs.
2. Professionalism: KALRO will uphold high standards of excellence in the provision of services to their customers. One of the hallmarks of excellence is 40 Kenya Agricultural & Livestock Research Organization integrity and ethics in all areas of operation. In this regard, KALRO’s research outputs and recommendations will adhere to the highest standards of scientific rigour, ethics and sound evidence base.
3. Innovativeness: KALRO recognizes the need for innovation in order to be responsive to the agricultural sector challenges. In this regard KALRO commits
to develop flexible and integrated solutions in tandem with the needs of customers and stakeholders.
4. Collaboration: Given the multi-stakeholder interest that the agricultural sector attracts, KALRO is expected to collaborate and forge partnerships for the
development of the sector in Kenya and beyond. KALRO will therefore endeavor to create beneficial opportunities for agricultural research and development.
5. Environmental consciousness: KALRO will ensure that the environment is conserved while discharging its mandate.
6. Integrity: KALRO is committed to ethical delivery of its mandate to all stakeholders.
1. To improve crop production, productivity and utilization
2. To improve livestock production, productivity and products utilization
3. To develop environmental friendly technologies and natural resource systems for sustainability
4. To develop appropriate agricultural machinery and equipment/implements
5. To support and promote use of biotechnology applications in agricultural development
The Horticulture Association of Kenya (HAK)