1) Tick-borne Diseases
- Carries out research on East Coast Fever (ECF), Anaplasmosis, Babesiosis and Heartwater.
- The main research objective is to enhance the control of ticks and tick-boren diseases through the development of appropriate, rapid and sensitive diagnostic tests and identification and validation of safe, effective and affordable chemotherapeutic agents.
- The main research thrust is development and validation of appropriate strategies for immunization against tick-borne diseases.
2) Livestock Virology
- Carries out research on the diagnosis, epidemiology and control of peste des petits ruminants, Malignant Catarrhal Fever, Bovine Viral Diarrhea, Lumpy Skin Disease and Capripox Virus Infections.
- The laboratory has expertise in research on PPR vaccines and use of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) in the differential diagnosis of diseases.
3) Zoonosis and Food Safety
- Monitors status of foods for human consumption.
- Conducts research in foodborne infections and poisoning.
- Gathers epidemiological information on zoonotic infections such as TB, Brucellosis and Rift Valley Fever
- Carries out research on all aspects of helminthosis, which cause insidious losses in all species of livestock in Kenya.
- The main research thrust is to develop and validate sustainable, cost-effective helminth control strategies necessary to maintain optimum livestock productivity in different production systems and agro-ecological zones.
- The laboratory champions the development of Medicated Urea Molasses Block (MUMB) for helminth control.
- Focuses on the epidemiology and control of livestock diseases caused by mycoplasma, namely Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia (CBPP) and Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) which are devastating trans-boundary epidemic diseases of cattle and goats respectively.
- Their control is essential to safeguard the national livestock populations and those in the neighboring countries and allow international trade.
- The laboratory is in the process of developing a PH-based penside kit for rapid diagnosis of subclinical mastitis.