The Veterinary Research Institute is one of the Institutes under the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO) established under the KALRO Act of 2013. Research on animal diseases in East Africa was first initiated in 1938 when a Central Veterinary Research Institute was established at Kabete. In 1949, it was decided that all the research aspects dealing with the greater East Africa be moved to a new site at Muguga whose construction was completed in 1954. It was then known as the East African Research Organization (EAVRO) under the auspices of the East African Common Services Organization (EACSO) which later became the East African Community (EAC). With the collapse of the EAC in 1977, the Centre was absorbed into the Ministry of Agriculture and renamed the Veterinary Research Department (VRD) and in 1986 it was brought under KARI as the National Veterinary Research Centre (NVRC).