The centre is mandated to undertake research in all aspects of production, management, postharvest and value addition of horticultural crops. The mandate includes development and dissemination of appropriate technologies for fruits, vegetables, flowers and macadamia nuts. Activities undertaken in the last five years included:
- Development of superior varieties with emphasis on introduction and evaluation of new varieties.
- Development of crop production technologies with emphasis on plant population and plant soil nutrition studies.
- Development of pest control methods with emphasis on integrated crop and pest management (ICPM).
- Postharvest handling and value addition.
- Validation and transfer of superior technologies in collaboration with the Regional Research Centres, extension staff, CBOs and individual farmers.