The Mandate of the Genetic Resources Research Institute include:
- To generate knowledge, technologies and innovations for effective conservation and utilization of plant, animal and microbial genetic resources.
- Identify production, policy, market, processing and utilisation constraints in agriculture and prepare short and long-term research programmes to assemble appropriate plant, animal and microbial germplasm for developing technologies to address these constraints.
- Identify and disseminate, in collaboration with other relevant agencies, appropriate plant, animal and microbial genetic resources to develop solutions to food security and sustainability.
- Establish and maintain regular contact with regional and international agricultural research institutions to ensure the rapid introduction, evaluation and use of plant, animal and microbial genetic resources of potential benefit to the country.
- To raise the profile of plant, animal and microbial genetic resources and their potential in contributing to food security and agricultural resilience in the face of climate change.