1. Evaluation of Rhodes grass varieties and legume mixtures in dairy cattle rotational grazing system in Coastal Kenya.
- The coast region is a feed deficit area; as over 80% is arid and semi-arid.
- Despite several past efforts to promote productive grasses and legumes, the acreage under cultivated fodder is very low and livestock are fed mostly on natural pasture/vegetation
- Rhodes grass ex-Tozi is among the most productive grasses especially on-station at Mariakani. The cultivar ex-Tozi is a prolific seed producer and has potential to improve forage availability especially in dry areas.
- Information on contribution of ex-Tozi Rhodes to animal performance is scanty
- To determine the performance of dairy cattle grazed on Rhodes grass and legume mixtures in lowland Coastal Kenya.
- To determine performance of Rhodes grass and Rhodes grass/legumes mixtures under high intensity short duration grazing systems.
- To determine Nutrient content of Rhodes grass/legume mixtures
- To determine effect of dairy cattle grazing Rhodes grass and legume mixtures on soil fertility improvement.
Data collection is still on going.