Crop improvement and Protection is among other sections within the Apiculture Research Institute of KALRO. The section is mandated to do research on various crops which include food crops, horticultural crops and some industrial crops.
1. Food crops comprise of :
i) Cereals- maize, sorghum, millets and pearl millet
ii) Grain legumes- beans, grams, cowpeas, pigeon peas.
iii) Root and tubers- sweet potatoes and cassava
2. Horticultural crops include- pawpaws, citrus, mangoes, avocados watermelons among others
3. Industrial crops are mainly soya bean and groundnuts, simsim and safflower
The main broad objective of the section is to improve livelihoods of rural resource poor farmers through generation, dissemination and adoption of sustainable agricultural technologies that generate incomes to help reduce and eradicate poverty.
The section also desires to be an effective channel for improved technologies to reach resource poor farmers to make them realize economic empowerment and hence reduce poverty.
To achieve the above objectives the section intends to carry out research on the afore mentioned crops in the Mandate areas of Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet, Samburu Counties during a five year period of 2016-2020.
The following are research activities the section proposes to conduct during the five-year period.
- Conduct on-station and on-farm research on crops.
- Develop, through adaptive research crop production packages of various crops.
- Multiply seeds of improved varieties for on-farm trials.
- Collaborate with other KALRO institutes to carry out National Performance Trials.
- Disseminate improved technologies to farmers to increase their production through.
- Conduct field days and farm visits.
- Establish Research Extension Liason