- Inadequate knowledge and expertise on the part of the beekeepers on key issues of management of apiaries and honey harvesting.
- Lack of information on the levels and scale of apicultural products; statistics of beehives in Kenya, equipment used, annual production figures, number of beekeepers and other stakeholders involved, etc.
- Lack of funds to enable beekeepers access affordable and appropriate beekeeping equipment.
- Destruction of forest reserves and vegetation
- The modern beekeeping equipment that permits proper colony management for high yield and propagation of the colony is expensive and difficult to obtain in Kenya
- Limited research for development and diversification of high productions other than honey.
Processing and packaging
- Inadequate extension services and training materials / guidelines for beekeepers, processors and traders.
- Points through processing units to the market tends to compromise the quality of the products.
- No appropriate honey' collecting centres with appropriate processing and packaging equipment to maintain the quality of products required in the international markets.
- Prohibitive taxes imposed on the imported processing and packaging equipment
- Materials is a huge setback towards private sector involvement and investment in apiculture in Kenya
- High costs coupled with absence of utilities such as portable water and electricity in some circumstances discourage beekeepers from investing in processing and packaging ventures.
- Poor transportation system (specialised vehicles) for hive products from production
- Lack of market adequate market information on different hive products, including honey.
- Limited promotional activities for hive products in both the local and export markets.
- Whereas the local market has been accessed by the traders, the complex export market dynamics have not been given high attention e.g. distribution channels, packaging requirements, etc.
- Lack of linkages and cohesion among different players and between producers, processors and buyers.