Adaptive Research and Technology Transfer
Developed machines in local market have been undergoing adaptation trials at different locations in order to ascertain their suitability and performance on different soil conditions, field size and moisture conditions. The ATDCs mainly carry out technology transfer activities and organize demonstrations, field trials and exhibitions showing the major benefits of available agricultural machinery.
Rationale and Justification
The overall objective of Outreach and partnership Program in Agricultural Mechanization Institute (AMRI) – KALRO Katumani is to jointly facilitate the process of generation, testing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate technologies using the multi-disciplinary farming systems approach. The strategy adopted in the implementation of the joint programs, seeks to link and capacity build stakeholders to drive the process of technology development, dissemination and evaluation. In line with the vision 2030 Agricultural sector flagship projects and the sectors strategy the section has endeavored to develop stakeholders’ technical capacity using the system approach to analyze Agricultural Product Value Chains for viability and developing Research and Extension agenda for the various Agro Ecological Zones (AEZ’s). The Approach focuses on the understanding that farming is a system composed of a set of interdependent components interacting in complex ways but working together to achieve the overall objectives of the whole system and operates in an environment (Biophysical, Social and political) that determines it’s efficiency. It is with this understanding that the Farming System should be a multidisciplinary approach that seeks to generate and diffuse appropriate technologies for specific groups of persons with their participation, focusing on identified priority problems and opportunities of the production system under consideration is adopted.
- Promoting the visibility of KALRO and its role, mandate, products, and services in the center mandate area.
- Liaising with various extension units in the public and private sector.
- Promoting the upscaling and out scaling of KALRO technologies, products and services in the center and mandate area.
- Promoting the establishment of strategic partnerships along research and development continuum in the center mandate region.
- Ensuring that the partnership entered to by the scientist with other parties are beneficial to the institute.
- Working in close liaison with all sections within the center to enhance communication, poster partnership and promote the institute’s public image in the center mandate area.
- Identifying, coordinating and strengthening capacity for disseminating of KALRO products and services, client feedback and capture and integration into KALRO research process.
- Promoting client access to knowledge, information and technologies within the center mandate region
Challenges and constraints
- Limited channels of dissemination
- Limited number of Agricultural Engineering extension personnel at county level
- Affordability of the technology
Its key focus is to promote the visibility of AMRI- KALRO-Katumani, its products, and services in the center mandate area in promoting KALRO technologies. It will also focus on promoting the establishment of strategic partnerships along research and development continuum. This will ensure that the partnership entered to by the scientists and other parties are beneficial to the institute as well as working in close liaison with all sections within the center to enhance communication, poster partnership and promote the institute’s public image in the center mandate area.